From Gaza, with Love

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Gaza update 2

wednesday 16th of May 2007 4pm
The interfighting continued today, Hamas hit 3 rocket propelled grenades
(RPGs) against the presidential guard's headquarters opposite my building. 3
RPGs landed in front of the main entrance to my building, it was so loud and I was terrified, but
pretended to be strong in front of my daughter Sondos (I noticed that she
was not very well ),we had to stay again in one room away from the windows,
and I started to think of moving to a safer place in another part of the
town, but where is this safe place in Gaza? No place is safe in Gaza!

8 pm

To my great relief but disbelief and great mistrust, I heard that truce has
been announced between the 2 fighting parties

11 pm
I went to my bed struggling to sleep, emotionally distracted, unsettled
unhappy and traumatized, all sort of feelings, I could not sleep without
being interrupted by the sporadic shooting, which continued if not as
strongly and continuously as the last few days. I was however glad to see
that Sondos was fast asleep.

17th of May 2007 -10am

I have decided to go out to my work, and to drop my daughter off to her
friend's house on the other side of the town , where I thought it was
somewhat safer and where she could get a change of scenery.

2.20pm

The Israeli army intensifies its attacks against Gaza, another element to be
added to the already collapsing situation. Fighter jets hit a building
housing a Hamas office. This was very close to my daughter's friend's house.
I called Sondos and could hear her voice on the other line, terrified,
shouting, "all the windows here have been broken, my friend is slightly
injured, it is too loud it is too loud, mum please pick me up quickly mum".
Shattered, in disbelief and greatly worried, I hurried to pick her up, Gaza
streets are deserted, like a phantom town, especially where I live, the taxi
driver (I do not use my car in such circumstances)had to take many side
roads , and while the car was moving I could see many armed masked men, and
crossed many military barriers, on the arrival I could see the bombed
building, and hear the shattered glass being swept away by the residents of
the area, 2 were killed, 32 people were injured, some were women and
children .
Israel intensifies its attacks against Gaza, to add another element to the
deteriorating situation. 6 attacks against cars and buildings in the last 2
hours, and just now I got news that army tanks are bombarding the north of
Gaza. All over civilians are strained, drained and exhausted, streets are
dangerous, most shops are closed, schools and universities are closed , patients donot have safe accesability to medical facilities, the hospitals are overwhelmed with casualities , and called upon gaza residents several times for blood donation , it is not safe to reach hospitals.

this is Gaza and my life in Gaza , one episode after another , long chain of non stop tragic incidents,
with all my love

8 Comments:

  • Hello Dr. Mona El-Farra,

    I hope you are safe from the chaos which currently surrounds you. It is a shame to see and hear on the news that Gaza is crumbling slowly. The fighting must stop! It serves no one's interest!

    From what I have gathered, Kassams being launched at Israel have pulled your neighbour into the fight, and this can only make things worse.

    Do you feel as though a true ceasefire is around the corner? Or is this the beginning of civil war?

    My prayers are with you and your daughter.

    -jb-

    By Blogger Josh, at 5/18/2007 7:21 PM  

  • Mona, it has been awhile since I stopped by your blog, but when I heard the news of the attacks yesterday and today my first thought was that I must check and see that you and your daughter were okay.
    It is frustrating to watch from across the ocean, but know that good thoughts and prayers are with you.

    By Blogger jarvenpa, at 5/18/2007 10:12 PM  

  • i am sad :(, can't express it better, hope you stay safe

    By Blogger noona, at 5/19/2007 12:52 AM  

  • Asalamu Alaikum Dr. Mona -
    My prayers are with you and your daughter. Insha'Allah things will improve. Thank you for your blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/19/2007 6:32 AM  

  • No doubt, the U.S. and Israel would like nothing more than to see a full-scale civil war erupt between supporters of Hamas and those of Fatta. And they appear to be assisting in the escalation, with word that U.S. trained troops entered Gaza from Egypt and Israeli strikes hit the area, as well. What a mess! Where will it end?

    By Blogger DrewL, at 5/20/2007 7:56 AM  

  • dear Mona and Sondos, we are all thinking about you and the dreadful situation you are facing day and daily. I hope you are ok and can find the strength to keep your spirits up. we are thinking about you a lot. lots of love, Lawrence

    By Blogger Lawrence, at 5/21/2007 1:11 AM  

  • Thank you for these updates. I feel so sorry for you and your family having to go through that. I only once heard rockets near my house, that was during the last war with Lebanon and they landed only 2 miles away. It was still terrifying. I can only vaguely imagine what it must be like and it makes me shudder.

    I was talking to my husband about this the other way and posted my thoughts about the current situation in Gaza in my blog.

    One thing that I kept thinking is can the civilians and people leave? Is there even a way out? Maybe through the border with Egypt? I wish there was a way for us to somehow help you out, at least for a while. I know it is probably not feasible, but I wish we could have you and your family over here as our guests until the situation calms down...

    Hugs to you, and to your daughter.

    Anat.

    By Blogger AnneMoss, at 5/22/2007 7:42 PM  

  • je viens de decouvrir votre Blog grace a France Inter et l'émission "et pourtant elle tourne'. j'espere que votre blog fera connaitre votre détresse au monde entier, reveiller les conscience et peut etre cela fera t il avancer vers la paix. Je me sens demunie et ne sais trouver les mots qui faudraient, tous me paraissent vains. Je n'ai que mon amitié et mon soutien a vous offrir. Ne renoncez jamais, un jour les fleurs de votre courage donneront des fruits
    estelle

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/22/2007 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home