From Gaza, with Love

Saturday, July 08, 2006

My Mother

I did not tell you before about my mother, she lives in Khanyunis, 22 km to the south of Gaza city. I was born and brought up there, until I was 16, when I left to university in Egypt,
My mother is 84 , she is living alone after the death of my father , and she is physically disabled ,she is well looked after ,I visit her whenever I have time , and this happens twice weekly at least , my elder sister lives next door and since the start of the "summer rain" operation , by the occupying Israeli forces, I couldn’t reach her, I was overwhelmed with the situation beside, that the 2 bridges that connect Gaza (north)and khanyunis in the south ,were destroyed in the 1st few hours of the military assault, as well as the power plant , I was afraid to use the unreliable side roads ,I was not ready to risk by leaving sondos alone ,with all the consequences ,air raids , sonic booming , no power ,complete road block, and staying away of my daughter and my work.
Despite all what I mentioned ,my mother alone , living her own world being old and disabled, was unable to find any excuse for me ,she thinks i am super woman and can do miracles , she kept phoning me asking to visit her, my sister asked me not to risk it ,
Knowing that the operation is focused now in the north , in the beginning ,it was mainly in the south were the soldier was captured , I decided to take the risk , it is Friday, I went to visit mother ,she was grumpy unsatisfied with my quick visit.
My mother is a retired head teacher ,she lived through all the Israeli Palestinian conflict stages , she eye witnessed what was happening in Palestine during the British mandate, ,and how Israel was founded on the ruins of the Palestinian people , who were forced to flee and were up rooted from their villages and towns that was later on occupied by jews from allover the world and Palestinians became refugees , , Israel was founded with the myth of land with no people for people with no land !!!


My mother remember all this , with nostalgia , she also remembers the Moses family a Jewish lawyer family ,that were my parents friends ,in Yafa (Jaffa) or Haifa i am not sure, next time I visit mother I shall be more sure.


Mona

2 Comments:

  • Thanks so much for telling about your mom - it gives invaluable insight to what this wonderful woman was forced to go through! Once you'll see her again - will you give her a big hug in my name and tell her, there is someone far away who REALLY cares? I'd highly appreciate that! It's so important not to forget human gestures in this nightmare ...
    How is Sondos holding up? How old is she?
    HANG IN THERE - you're not alone!!

    By Blogger Karin, at 7/08/2006 9:22 AM  

  • By Blogger Solomon2, at 7/10/2006 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home