From Gaza, with Love

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Gaza today after few days of palestinian fight

It is a nice sunny warm morning. I thought it would be a good idea to let you know a little bit about the general mood here in Gaza.

Yes, it is calm in the streets of Gaza, but Israeli F-16s are back flying too low in the sky as well as some helicopters to the east of the town of Gaza.

After the tough days of the Palestinian inter-fighting in the streets of Gaza, people feel relieved but not sure of the future. We had a rough time during the clashes. I feel relieved but also really sad about the 76 people who lost their lives and the 400 more who were injured. It is awuful when you think how politics and power struggles can use people ordinary poor people. Many people and youth were part of the fight just because they are paid in the end of the month; a secure job to be in the so called "army" or Hamas forces.

And then with a political agreement all of a sudden there is no fighting in the streets. OK, it is great that the fighting has stopped. But why did it start in the first place?

Mecca is the sacred place. Where was all that one week ago when there was bloodshed in the streets of Gaza and when the HOLY ambulances, hospitals, mosques, and universities were attacked?

Life continues in Gaza and another chapter has started. The new national unity goverment has formed but with great polarization between the 2 largest factions and at the exclusion of the mainstream of different factions, the independent people, and civil society figures. So when power in the streets is the judge and when the place of negotiation is Mecca whose leaders glorify the US's agenda, especially in the Middle East, I can only expect the worst for the Palestinian national agenda. I cannot help thinking that we would not need to go to Mecca to agree if there was a real national agenda.

I shall continue my work in Gaza, my struggle against the occupation, and keep reminding myself and the world that the peacemaker of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict is the Right of Return and peace that is based on justice.

In solidarity and love
Mona

9 Comments:

  • I ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!
    Sending you LOTS and LOTS of strength - and MUCH LOVE!! :-)

    By Blogger Karin, at 2/15/2007 6:53 AM  

  • Please tell me how is the medical status at Gaza and the occupied west bank?

    Is there some way we can help your people from Holland?

    h_gorter@hotmail.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/19/2007 11:09 PM  

  • Hello there,
    My name is nicollo lopez. Iam 16 and i live in the Philippines. I saw your blog on CNN today and it really got my attention. I do know abit of what is happening in Gaza but have little inside knowledge of how the people really feel. Just wanna say thankyou for having the courage to write and blog in such a conflic-ridden place. From now on i will start reading your blog for your new posts. Godbless you mona! And thankyou for being such an inspiration. - Nic

    By Blogger Naz, at 2/20/2007 12:52 PM  

  • Hi Mona,

    I saw your report on CNN a few minutes ago. Well, I have seen a bit of it, a bit that gave me the urge to write to you.
    Your words on tv and your posts on the blog echoed our fears, anger and confusion in Lebanon.
    Amazing how Gaza and Beirut have become alike in this period of chaos. When will the people of Gaza and Beirut find harmony? when will this madness stop?

    Laury from Beirut

    By Blogger Laury Haytayan, at 2/20/2007 4:57 PM  

  • Dear Mona, it's a pleasure to meet you. I also fight for women's rights and have a blog called http://workingmuslimwoman.wordpress.com

    I hope we can help each other to bring rights to women and indeed muslims and humans everywhere.

    By Blogger Vogue Nile, at 2/20/2007 11:25 PM  

  • Blessings to you. We all are with you in spirit. May peace and justice prevail.

    Love and blessings to all.

    By Blogger Kevin Beck, at 2/21/2007 12:19 AM  

  • Hi Mona,
    I would really like to help in some way.
    I read an article about a Palestinian family who just had quintuplets in Gaza City. Although I know it isn't much, and may be terribly trivial in the grand scheme of things, I would like to send a monetary gift to this family. Can you give me an idea of how I could do this? Maybe I could send a check to the hospital?
    Are there any organizations that I could donate money to for the benefit of the Palestinian people?
    Please let me know if you have the chance.
    Thank You,
    Shannon
    shannonscull@yahoo.com

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/22/2007 1:21 AM  

  • May peace be with you Mona and to all of us here.

    Please do inform me too about the questions of Shannon.

    herman

    h_gorter@hotmail.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/23/2007 2:04 PM  

  • I shall continue my work in Gaza, my struggle against the occupation, and keep reminding myself and the world that the peacemaker of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict is the Right of Return and peace that is based on justice.

    Dear Mona,

    Since the "right of return" is not an option for the 500,000 jews of the moab (amd also their decendants) Why should more "palestinians" be allow to return to israel?

    after all a full 25% of israel is arab and after all a full 100% of the 21 nations of the arab world is completely enthically cleansed of jews doesnt that sound fair?

    israel is 1/649th of the arab world's size...

    hmmmm might we be a bit overzealous as to what is actually "palestinian" occupied lands?

    By Blogger What is "Occupation", at 2/25/2007 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home