From Gaza, with Love

Friday, January 05, 2007

occupation is the secret recipe for suffering

5th of january
there are violent palestinian plalestinian interclashes between fateh and hamas in the north and south of Gaza, and inside Gaza city as well , the clashes continued throug hthre night 6 people were kilede and tens injured ,





Dear All
happy new year , hoping that 2007 will bring the best possible for al lof us , sorry it is belated wish , but late is better than never
with love and solidarity

Mona eLFarra




GAZA

Gaza at the end of 2006

My life in Gaza

Throughout December, I was very busy organizing relief work for hundreds
of families living in different sorts of poverty. Working with colleagues
and tens of volunteers, we managed to distribute food parcels – meat,
blankets, money vouchers, milk, medications for sick children and cancer
patients, university fees for needy students.

I am organizing and coordinating this work for MECA and some other donors,
with the help of 3 doctors, friends and colleagues. A group of volunteers,
mainly women, help as well. We work hard to reach people in different
parts of the crowded Gaza Strip, where we are imprisoned in this small
area of land whose borders are still mainly closed – they opened just 14
times in 6 months.

The Palestinian Egyptian border crossing is very crowded with hundreds of
people waiting to travel on both sides. You can only leave Gaza in very
difficult and inhuman circumstances, and you cannot be sure of coming
back. Passengers wait on the Egyptian side, not knowing when the borders
will open – is it a matter of hours, days, weeks or months? Some have no
choice but to go through this traumatic experience. Students did not reach
their universities on time, and some patients died while waiting to cross
the border for treatment.

I am invited by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign in London to to attend a
conference.(Enough ) I do not think it will be easy for me to travel, and it may be
impossible in such uncertain circumstances. It is important for me to be
able to go to London and I wish I could go, but this is a luxurious wish
when we all live under very severe circumstances. All of us feel unsafe
and cannot guarantee the safety of our children.

I am surrounded by thousands of people who depend on different sources of
local and international humanitarian aid for their daily basic needs, and
to continue living and resisting these circumstances. They resist
occupation by continuing to live here at all, in such horrific, inhuman
miserable conditions.

IN Gaza YOU CANNOT PLAN SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS LUNCH WITH FREINDS

IN GAZA YOU CANNOT PLAN SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS VISITING YOUR OLD MOTHER ONLY 20 MINTUES DRIVE


Sunday 17 th December

The Palestinian-on-Palestinian internal clashes have re-started. Dozens
are killed or injured, schools are closed. I cannot reach the Red Crescent
Society or the Al﷓Awda hospital or get out to buy some milk. I am
confined to my flat, and it is very unsafe for me and Sondos, especially
because we live very close to the presidential headquarters.

From my window I can see armed men, many of them masked, tense and on
alert. I hear the shooting too close, not knowing where it comes from, and
the sounds of big explosions. I've witnessed this scene before but now it
is a Palestinian-Palestinian fight. last month during november , it was Israeli Apache
helicopters and F16's, army tanks frogmen and gunboats.
The outcome is the same. We
are not safe, no place in Gaza is safe.


25th December

It has been raining, heavy showers of rain non stop for the last 3 days.
There is no electricity and it is very cold. I have heard that there are
some problems with the power plant, though we had regular power last month
after 5 months of living with only a few hours of electricity (patchy
power). I cannot watch television, I feel isolated from the world and
abandoned by the world. I do not have the desire to write or go out, I
feel so low.


27th December

The Israelis have opened the dam on the east of Gaza to relieve the
overflow of rainwater on the eve of AlAdha Eid (the Muslim ceremony of Eid
when Abraham promised God to give his son as a sacrifice). I decide to
visit my mother in Khan Yunis 20 km south of Gaza City where I live.

I reach as far as the Gaza bridge which links the south and north of the
Gaza Strip. But the road under the destroyed bridge is closed, flooded by
excessive rain. The alternative road is also flooded while the bridge
above has been completely destroyed by Israeli jet fighters last June. On
the other side of the Gaza valley Israel has opened the dam and let water
gush into Gaza to avoid floods into Israeli land (historical Palestine),
so on both sides of the valley inside Gaza there are great floods of rain
and sewage water. I cannot visit my aged mother (84), and the road remains
closed during the feast days.

I need somebody to tell me how we in the Occupied Territories can tolerate
or accept or coexist with Israel and its racist acts and continuous
insistence on treating us in the OT as 10th class citizens, on the borders
and everywhere in our own country. Occupation, occupation, occupation is
inhuman and makes life like a hell for us in our own country. Occupation
is illegal and it only exists in Palestine and Iraq, imposed by Israel and
America, the so-called most democratic nation in the new world.

Without a clear comprehensive and just solution for the Palestinian
Israeli conflict, a solution that is based on self-determination for
Palestinians and the right of return, ending the occupation and stopping
the American government's biased intervention in the region, I can see
clearly that the situation in Palestine and the whole region will go from
bad to worse, and then where...

I do not have the answer. If somebody knows can he/she let me know.

With love and solidarity from Gaza

8 Comments:

  • I wish only peace to your country.
    With love and solidarity from Greece!

    By Blogger philos, at 1/05/2007 2:38 PM  

  • Dearest friend,
    My heart is bleeding when I read your last post ... I feel so terribly sad about all what's happening! As if the Israeli occupation is not terrible and destructive enough - now something even worse is going on: Palestinians are killing Palestinians! It can't get worse ... that is the lowest point. Why don't Hamas and Fatah not understand that ONLY UNITY makes the Palestinian people strong?? That they have GOT to work together for the sake of their people? That they are SERVANTS of the people and have a HUGE responsibility??

    Mona, dear friend, PLEASE STAY STRONG!! You are doing a most wonderful job and without you, MANY people would not survive or their suffering would be worse to say the least! You earned yourself a long time ago already a place in paradise!
    I am SO OFTEN thinking of you and you're ALWAYS in my heart! HANG IN THERE DEAR ... I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
    BIG HUG for Sondos ...

    By Blogger Karin, at 1/05/2007 9:10 PM  

  • Dr. El-Farra, I just discovered your blog online. Thank you for sharing your voice. I admire your strength and courage. My thoughts are with you. I will follow your blog regularly. Best wishes, from Laura in Oklahoma, US.

    By Blogger Laura, at 1/21/2007 8:03 PM  

  • May God protect all the people of the Gaza and West bank from further violence.

    This makes no sense at all. Satan is behind all this and he is the root cause of all the world wide turmoil - I cannot wait for the day of his final judgement so that peace will reign.

    Please Palestinians preach LOVE and not HATE , HATE gets us nowhere, it only leads to the loss of more PRECIOUS LIVES.

    STOP THE KILLING NOW !!

    By Blogger James Romanious, at 2/03/2007 12:25 AM  

  • Dr. El-Farra,

    This is the first time in my life that I communicate with a non-Israeli Palestinian, so please apologize, if I innocously offend you.

    I arrived at your blog via the BBC website and read it with great interest. I am sorry about the suffering and fear you and your family experience. Yet, I would like to invite you to look beyond it.

    I think the current Palestinian-Palestinian violence is only the tip of the iceberg in a militant macho society turning on itself. We all know about the treatment of inner-Palestinian minorities, especially women, gays and Christians in Gaza and the West Bank. The prejudices, the attacks, the murders that went unpunished and are often perpetrated by family, police or neighbors.

    In Israel, there is a widespread view that the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza actually hollows out Israeli society from an ethical point of view and lead to drastic increases in crime, domestic violence and corruption. Could it be that the Palestinian suicide bombing campaign had a similar boomerang effect on Palestinian society? That the taboos broken in the treatment of Jewish civilians are now also broken in the treatment of Palestinian civilians? And what exactly should Israel do in your mind? It has tried ending the occupation, signing treaties, withdrawing from Gaza, preparing the withdrawal from the West Bank, but whatever Israel does it never seems to be right for the Palestinians.

    Finally, I would like to draw our attention to the fact that Palestine and Iraq are by no means the only occupied countries in the world, but that occupation is the rule rather than the exception. Almost every country has its center which occupies territory belonging to various minorities, from Tibet to Turkish Kurdistan. The situation in Palestine is unfortunately, not the worst at this time. In Sudan the government is genociding hundreds of thousands of its own citizens, because they are black and Christian and in North Korea the Stalinist-style dictatorship runs concentration camps and gas chambers... Also remember the horrific treatement of animals in meat factories and research labs. Cruelty is the rule rather than the exception, it seems. A lot of humans (and other animals) would be happy to be tenth-class citizens, rather than just cannon-fodder and walking meat. The suffering of Palestinians is not exceptional.

    In sum, I think the suffering you experience is less connected to a specific Israeli-American viciousness but rather to universal human cruelty. And even being a victim does not exonerate us for taking responsibility for our own little or small cruelties...

    Best wishes,
    Martin

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/03/2007 10:22 AM  

  • PS:

    For fairness sake you should know that I am a gay, half-Christian, vegetarian Israeli, living in Tel Aviv (7 suicide attacks in 5 years in my neighborhood alone, one in my street, and two friends abducted and murdered by Palestinian groups).

    Martin
    yayin401@yahoo.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/03/2007 10:28 AM  

  • You deserve it. in 1948 you did not accept the division program by the UN, and you tried to muder all Jews in Palestine. You were trying to make a genocide. WE DID FORGET! but, surprise surprise...this time jews learnt the lesson and decided to protect themselves...there was a war and you Palestinians who started the war LOST! Now this is the price you need to pay for trying to kill jews....you deserve everything and much worse.....

    By Blogger Ole Prog, at 2/03/2007 3:37 PM  

  • Nobody deserves suffering.
    I live in Israel and it bothers me tremendously to see suffering in both sides.
    Gaza strip is no longer under Israeli occupation. We went out of Gaza strip two years ago. Remember?
    You decided to vote and elect the Hammass government that declairs they act to destroy Israel.
    What do you want us to do? To destroy ourselves ? No way!!!!!
    I did not hear you in when Israeli towns was bombed about every day by people from Gaza.
    I don’t know what to do with religious fanatics that life in this world does not matter to them and are only a corridor to heaven. By the name of god they make so many people to suffer.
    Try to build youself a state like Singapur.
    We try very hard to do so and live normal life.
    No one in Israel will attack any arab if not to defend ourselves.

    By Blogger Zipi, at 1/04/2009 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home