From Gaza, with Love

Sunday, February 28, 2010

In Gaza I live

In Gaza I live

Hello family, friends, and supporters,

I'm so sorry it's been so long since I've written. I'm sorry also that I've not yet responded to the wonderful emails of support so many of you have sent during my illness.

I returned to Gaza after a short visit with my children, who are studying in Manchester in the UK. I am on my own here in Gaza, so busy, and life takes me from one day to another with no hope for political change on the horizon. I am very busy with cultural and health programmes and women’s empowerment and rehabilitation programmes, with the great support of Sheffield Women PSC and Manchester and Liverpool Friends of Palestine in the UK, as well as MECA in the US, comrades who support our vision for women’s issues as well as our political views for a future Palestine that is a free country based on equal rights and justice for all.

I am trying to write on my blog, but I cannot access it. I do not have my children’s technical assistance any more, and need to be more independent and technologically acquainted!!!!!

I will keep trying to access my blog--it is the bridge of love between me and my friends outside of Gaza; it is my method of ventilation while living in such difficult circumstances, with closure, siege, and occupation.

In talking of friends in Gaza we find our ways of coping with our situation, one of the many ways our friends care and support while we do not stop dreaming together of a better future for all.

Sport is another way of coping, and the most convenient is walking by the seaside. While walking I meet some of the fishermen in the early hours of the day, around 5 am, while they are struggling hard to live and can see the Israeli gunboats patrolling the sea as they harass and shoot at Palestinian boats.

I meet small children walking for long distances to reach their schools, as many families cannot afford to pay for transportation!!!!!! Tiny smiling faces have to leave their homes so early in the morning to reach school on time.

Shops here are stuffed with all sorts of goods; we get them via the tunnels at the Egyptian border. But few people can afford them—all goods are very expensive! Only a small new class can afford them. This class emerged in the void of the now-displaced previous elite, and the majority of people still suffer.

Israeli attacks continue; as I am writing there are incursions into the Gaza border areas of Beit Lahia, Beit Hanoun and Khan-Yunis, which you probably don’t hear in the news—Gaza is only remembered when a big disaster occurs !!!!!!!!

Last month we received the Viva Palestina convoy. I met activists from the UK, PSC York, Liverpool, Sheffield, Cambria, Birmingham, and Bristol. But they were only allowed to stay for such a short time, only 48 hours, a tremendous shame!! They did not have nearly enough time to see Gaza

Recently I helped in fundraising for the MRI machine at the Red Crescent Society for Gaza Strip. We reached our goal!

This highly sophisticated equipment is vital for Gaza’s patients who suffer daily because of the deteriorating health facilities, the lack of many essential medications, and the border closure that prevents people from crossing. Many patients need further treatment abroad, but the Rafah crossing has been closed for almost two months now. It will open next month, and when it is open it is very unpredictable and open only for three days, and the number of those who cross the border are much less than those who actually need to cross, including patients, students, families, etc…

Friends:

I continue to be empowered when thinking of you and your great support and nonstop solidarity.

I find my self-esteem when I meet daily with people I work for, when I see children happily painting, dancing, reading, and involved in the different cultural programmes even amidst a life that is so hard and unfair, when I meet with women who leave their homes to receive nutrition and dental care services and lectures in the courses I run, when I feel the satisfaction of the team that runs those courses under such a difficult atmosphere.

Love,

Mona

27 Comments:

  • Wow... I follow this blog for so long, then I think, maybe the owner has dead already (na'uzubillah)..

    I Really relieve you starting to write back. It's the best source to know the problem at Gaza because many news are fake..

    Assalamuaalaykum.....

    By Blogger Muhd Al-fateh, at 2/28/2010 12:15 PM  

  • السيده العزيزه مني
    تحياتي
    اولا اود ان اعبر لك عن اعجابي بعملك المخلص لمن هم يحتاجون اليه في غزه ,والشىء الاخر انه قليل جدا من يعود الي غزه بعد ان يخرج منها الان وخصوصا من اهلها ,فكيق ادا كانو ابنائه في بريطانيا ليتركهم ويعودالي هنا . واخيرا اقول لك الحمد لله علي السلامه , واكون سعيد بصداقتك
    النورس

    By Blogger نورس من شاطيء غزه, at 3/01/2010 2:01 AM  

  • Dear Mona,
    Salam from Haifa. I've been following your blog for a long time, and was waiting for a new post. Finally it came. Mona, I think your voice is of extreme importance, please keep writing - the media of course distorts everything and we never get any first-hand experiences of narratives, and also the fact that you are working for the empowerment of women and for justice!
    In solidarity,
    khulud

    By Blogger khulud khamis, at 3/01/2010 4:09 AM  

  • You're doing a fantastic job Mona - I didn't forget you!! Nor did I forget the people of gaza who are very dear to me!
    The feeling I have here in the US is one of powerlessness ... as much as I like and support president Obama, he (for some strange reason) doesn't seem to be able to put his foot down and make significant changes in his ME politics. I don't know if it's he himself or his advisors ... it is utterly frustrating!
    I am - in solidarity - with you and ALL people of Gaza! I have dear friends in Gaza-City ... I wish you could meet them - they're wonderful and I love'em to pieces!
    Big hug!!

    By Blogger Karin, at 3/02/2010 5:08 PM  

  • you have my respect dear sister.take care of your self.i will follow your blog inshalah.

    By Blogger a.m.a3, at 3/06/2010 2:26 AM  

  • Dear Mona!
    I have read the very interesting and optimistic article and would love to talk to you
    I was very much involved in the in the Palesenian/Israeli relations and would be more then interested to talk to you
    How can I call
    Are you on Skype?
    Best Regards
    Ronny

    By Blogger Ronny, at 3/17/2010 12:28 PM  

  • Thank you for your inspiration!!!

    My respect and best wishes
     

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/25/2010 11:27 PM  

  • Mona,
    Would you take a look at this, please?
    "The Scottish Parliament has been condemned by a group of leading doctors for staging an exhibition celebrating "Israeli technology" in the wake of the country's bombing campaign in Gaza........."
    It is planned to take place INSIDE the Scottish Parliament, April 27-29th, which we think amounts to implicit support.

    Below is the full news paper article condemning the event
    http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Holyrood-slated-over-Israeli-exhibition.6175052.jp

    Below again is a link to the online petition against the event, to be signed by 9 April
    .
    http://epetitions.scottish.parliament.uk/view_petition.asp?PetitionID=383

    Please would you sign this & circulate AS WIDELY AS YOU CAN?....let our 'Braveheart' parliament hear from all you true bravehearts on the sharp end of 'Israeli technology'.
    God bless you all & keep giving you strength!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/29/2010 7:18 PM  

  • THis blog has not to die. It is amazing how words transport sense and touch the heart. I confirm my support, and insist on your coming back to enlighten all of us. No need to mention that I am from Gaza too, and hope I can tell my part in Gaza story.

    Thanks

    By Blogger Mahmoud Saed, at 4/13/2010 11:16 AM  

  • I'm an Indonesian. Gaza always in my heart. You are in my prayers.

    By Blogger Mary_Ann, at 4/14/2010 7:37 PM  

  • Mona,
    I'm not sure how often you read your messages. From you comments, I see that you travel in and out of Gaza frequently. I am an American citizen (non arab), married to a Palestinian (who's aquired american citizen now). We wish to travel with are two children to Gaza to see his Ill mother (Through Cairo/Raffah). How extremely difficult is it getting in and out and do you have any advice you could share? Any arrangements that could be made, do you know of? I would appreciate any feedback you may have. My email is michelledarabaih81@hotmail.com. Take care and God Bless.

    By Blogger darabaih, at 4/21/2010 7:02 AM  

  • Hello Mona,

    I wish I could personally come and bring you a yummy self-baked and decorated birthday cake and flowers but the way it still is, an e-mail greeting has to do!
    I wish you a as-happy-as-possible birthday, health, lots of strength and most of all JUSTICE - and FREEDOM!

    Big hug
    Karin

    By Blogger Karin, at 4/29/2010 5:36 AM  

  • Hi...hope you'll write more often. Greetings from Oman.

    By Blogger Oman Collective Intelligence, at 5/08/2010 3:47 PM  

  • This is Hannah Bevills, I am an editor with Hospital.com. We are a medical publication whose focus is geared towards promoting awareness on hospitals, including information, news, and reviews on them. Given the relevance of what you are offering from your site and what our mission is, I feel we may be able to collaborate in some way or another, I look forward to your response regarding the matter. Thanks!

    Hannah Bevills
    hannah.bevills@gmail.com
    Hospital.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/12/2010 7:48 PM  

  • I have linked you here: http://grou.ps/frontfortheunificationanddevelopmen/102946.

    Abd.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/12/2010 11:42 PM  

  • Dr. El-Farra,
    I am a graduate student in the United States who is writing about Palestinian blogs and I am interested in asking a few questions. You mentioned "tunnels at the Egyptian border." Is there another blog post where you may have elaborated on this? Thank you.
    Gayanthi.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/17/2010 4:33 AM  

  • Gaza...Gaza....save Gaza !
    http://rolays.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/28/2010 5:41 PM  

  • Hi! I found your blog site in a web search. I run a website called The Middle East Alliance. Basically, the goal of the site is to help people in America and Europe better understand what is going on in different Middle East countries - so much goes unreported, and we look for blogs like yours to find out what is really happening. Here is a link to the site: http://www.mideastalliance.org/

    If you like, we can repost your blog entries on our site - we would of course link the repost back to your blog as well. With all that's been going on in the past couple days, I look forward to hearing a new perspective from someone actually living in Gaza (as opposed to the media.)

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Sean J Stephens
    The Mideast Alliance

    By Blogger Sean Stephens, at 6/01/2010 4:57 PM  

  • You can reach me by email at sean@mideastalliance.org.

    By Blogger Sean Stephens, at 6/01/2010 5:00 PM  

  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tOdW0qEy4g

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/01/2010 8:39 PM  

  • www.ottomanpalestine.com

    A PEACE COUNTRY OTTOMAN PALESTINE

    By Blogger Murat, at 6/03/2010 10:22 AM  

  • Hi Mona, how are you? I hope you are in good condition.
    I heard that Israel attacked the Gaza territory again, and so many victims.
    You know, all people from different parts of the world and i, always praying for you guys.
    Be strong in living your days that may very horrible.
    I really can't imagine, women, children and elderly residents were dead.
    I probably couldn't do lots of things, but I always pray for my brothers in Gaza.
    May God keep you, your family and friends safe. God helps are near ... amin

    Melisa ef

    Indonesia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/06/2010 8:24 PM  

  • Hi..
    How are you getting on? how's life is Gaza?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/13/2010 6:53 PM  

  • Hi..
    How are you getting on? how's life is Gaza?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/13/2010 6:53 PM  

  • Dear Mona,

    I would like to invite you to guest-post on our blog: http://womenwithoutborders-save.blogspot.com/

    Sisters Against Violent Extremism provides women dedicated to ending violent extremism from around the world with a platform to share best practices and to voice their concerns. Asma Asfour from Sinjel Municipality in Palestine just posted her call for peace with dignity on the blog, and we would be honored to include your views as well.

    Best wishes,

    Edit Schlaffer

    By Blogger Women without Borders, at 7/14/2010 1:03 PM  

  • Mona,
    Thanks for all your dedicated work for the people of Gaza.
    Be assured that there are many small folk across the world working to support human rights for the people of Gaza. You will hear about the big actions, like the boycott in Oakland of an Israeli ship, where the dockers refused to unload it, but there are also thousands of small activists who are doing their bit to help the people of Palestine.
    You are not forgotten - not by a long way!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/28/2010 12:37 AM  

  • I am an editor and publisher of Holocaust poetry. I have an idea that could help the children of Gaza. If you will email me at mikerburch@gmail.com, I will be glad to explain. I'm also interested in publishing the stories of Palestinian children, in their own words.

    Blessings,
    Mike Burch

    By Blogger Michael R. Burch, at 10/08/2010 4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home