From Gaza, with Love

Friday, December 19, 2008

from Gaza to Larnaka and then Manchester -Uk

Manchester, 15 November - a few days after my arrival in the UK
My email to my friend , Mona Bsieso , palestinan from Gaza ,lives abroad.
Dear Mona,
It has been very difficult for me to leave Gaza. I tried to leave several times to reach my youngest daughter who was not allowed re-entry to Gaza. She is now at one of the British schools trying hard to adjust to the educational, cultural, and social system here.
I am very busy trying to support my daughter, but at the same time I am anxious to go back home to continue my work. I cannot rest knowing of the difficulties and ordeals people face daily. I know exactly how inhumane life can be without electricity, gas, petrol, or a way out. And on top of that the daily military operations against Gaza.
With a torn heart, I sailed last week on board of one of the Free Gaza Movement boats and watched Gaza's beach slowly disappear. On the way to Larnaka I sobbed a lot. It was hard for me to be on board a small boat in the midst of a dangerous hostile sea and harder still was to think about the unpredictable future. Even though I was on my way to see my children I did not feel the normal, natural human feelings. You see, everything in Palestinian psychology is mixed with sadness, uncertainty, and great suffering.
When the captain announced that we had reached international waters, I threw fifteen bouquets of wild flowers from my garden in loving memory of the 15 fishermen who were killed by the Israeli naval forces in last five years. Their only crime was accidentally fishing farther out than the Israeli army permits, though they were still within Gazan waters according to international treaties. They were killed while trying to secure some sort of living for their families amidst the cruel, unjustified occupation and collective punishment that are imposed on all of us under the slogan of security. Their executions go against all humanitarian values.
I am looking forward to hearing from you. Please pass my warm regards to all the friends who support us in Gaza. It is with their solidarity that we can continue and show resilience during the most difficult times, while we face the occupation and the world's shameful silence.

Yours sincerely,
Mona El Farra

5 Comments:

  • God bless you, your family and your people.
    I pray that every day more and more people around the world will finally see the truth of what is happening and see through the lies of the brainwashing.
    How can the same lies and evil deeds be happening all over again but to a different people?
    How can we fall for it all over again?

    By Blogger beany, at 12/20/2008 7:14 PM  

  • Hey salaams Mona,

    Hope life in the UK is treating you well (and that you are getting to grips with the Liverpudlian accent!).

    I have a question - If I wanted to help support your cause in Gaza, atleast from a financial perspective, to help with aid etc - how can I go about it? I try and do what I can via Human Appeal International and Islamic relief, but if there is any way which I can help the Palestinian cause better, I would love to help.

    If you wouldnt mind emailing me (cookiemonster@googlemail.com), I would be greatful!

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/21/2008 8:52 PM  

  • (b)

    By Blogger nuri, at 12/24/2008 2:53 PM  

  • salam alaykum sister

    please keep writing so the world can know what is happening is Gaza.
    We pray for you in these troubling times.

    By Blogger Safiyyah, at 12/27/2008 10:38 PM  

  • You are not forgotton in these difficult times.Though geography hinders our proximity form Palestinians, as muslims, we are one body.
    My heart aches whilst reading your email.
    :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2009 2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home