From Gaza, with Love

Sunday, July 23, 2006



During my visit to a children's center in Nusseirat refugee camp, the sound of artillery shells being fired at the nearby AlMagazi refugee camp was loud. The girls inside the center took me around to see their arts and crafts activities. The most moving one was the dream tree in which girls age 11-14 expressed their dreams of safety, education, sports activities, reading good books, traveling, going to the seaside, visiting friends relatives, having electricity and good drinking water, etc...

One of the girls said, "We will never give up dreaming. I dream of living in Yafa where my family lived before 1948. My grandmother tells me how life was great in Yaffa and I dream of going back. Nobody can stop me from dreaming, nobody should take my dreams away."

The girls danced to the music of Palestinian folklore and I passed message of love and solidarity from friends allover the world who believe that Palestinian people have the right to live in dignity, by achieving their national goals of freedom and self-determination. Meanwhile, the Israeli's artillery shelling continued.

As I started my journey back to Gaza city, a drone was in the sky and gunboats were
patrolling the sea. Driving on the rough side road, I passed by the destroyed bridges and paralyzed power plant and I thought of the drawings I saw in the center of army tanks, dead, injured, funerals, masked men.

I dream of the day when I shall be able to see children's drawings of green spacious parks, meadows, sports activities and safe seaside.

11 Comments:

  • YOU WILL Mona, maybe it will take time - but this day will come, I am SURE!! This one girly who dreamt about going back to Jaffa said something very important and correct ... NOBODY can take my dreams away!!
    STAY STRONG Mona, you're doing a fantastic job ... we're with you!! BIG hug for the two of you!

    By Blogger Karin, at 7/23/2006 9:48 PM  

  • May your dreams come true, and those of the girls.

    By Blogger jarvenpa, at 7/23/2006 11:51 PM  

  • this post is absolutly beautiful...this shows the absolute stregnth of love--even in the middle of hell, nobody can take away dreams--how much more powerful can you get????

    By Blogger brownfemipower, at 7/24/2006 1:40 AM  

  • ""I dream of the day ,when I shall be able to see children drawings of green spacious spaces,meadows , sports activities and safe seaside.""

    INSHALLAH!!! That day will come soon, we have hope and thats a start,

    By Blogger Halla, at 7/24/2006 7:19 AM  

  • ""I dream of the day ,when I shall be able to see children drawings of green spacious spaces,meadows , sports activities and safe seaside.""

    INSHALLAH!!! That day will come soon, we have hope and thats a start,

    By Blogger Halla, at 7/24/2006 7:20 AM  

  • Mona, whenever you are with the children and your daughter, give them a big hug for me. Let them know that they do have some friends in the US who are rooting for them and a free and peaceful Palestine.
    God Bless You and the Children!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/24/2006 8:12 AM  

  • Baloum ... you're in Munich??? How intersting ... so am I! Where are you at?

    By Blogger Karin, at 7/24/2006 11:32 AM  

  • i wish that i could apologize to you for all of this. i know that it must be difficult for you and everyone else who lives there. know that there ARE folks here pulling for you and your country. we are trying and it is like beating your head against a brick wall.

    By Blogger billie, at 7/25/2006 1:16 AM  

  • I want to second what chet says, and also extend my deepest regrets that the government in my own country is so profoundly dyslexic when it comes to understanding simple human needs, not to mention refusing any common sense notion of fair play. I hope you and your daughter are getting a least a bit of a break from the bombing -- while I'm weeping for the innocents in Lebannon as well. It is utter madness!

    Wishing you, Sondos, and all the chidren and families to be well and safe. Blessings from Seattle.

    By Blogger meldonna, at 7/25/2006 6:29 AM  

  • Glad I found this blog. Keep on posting!!! Alaikum assalaam. Greetings from Louisiana.

    By Blogger Professor Zero, at 7/26/2006 5:45 AM  

  • For baloum ...
    I tried to respond to your letter but your account seems to be full - it doesn't let me send it! Waiting for reply ...!!!

    By Blogger Karin, at 7/29/2006 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home